Although I say the Australian adventure seems to be more distant than the reality of saying bye bye to loved ones; the fact of the matter is that it's definitely happening. I had my last day of work on Thursday and helped Steve (I say help but really I just sat and watched) clear his desk and locker in the office at 20:30 on Thursday night. Steve finished work on Friday working right down to the wire and our cars went back to the leasing company also on Friday. Not only is our house becoming more and more empty, our driveway is too!
My wonderful little sister returned from a trip to Hong Kong and China this weekend and we had a lovely catch up phone call which was bitter sweet. It was made clear to me that although we will be far away from each other in terms of geography we can bridge that distance with regular chit chats but also that nothing will take the place of actually being close to each other and being in the same the time zone. We really must make sure we talk regularly. My mum also called me from Hong Kong and I have to confess that after we hung up, I was a little teary as it became real that we'd be far apart.
Steve and I have always been blessed with a lot of love in our lives and this last week and a half is certainly testament to this. So a quick summary as to what we have been up...
- A coffee and a dinner with my ex Business Link girlies Veronica and Michelle, a lunch with Dazzler and a catch up convo with Wendy
- A get together with old friends from the Wheel and all the cute kiddies (see one of them on the left, little Logan)
- Pub golf for Steve with his work colleagues where he learnt the hard way that downing and mixing drinks is never a good idea
- Gossip over tea and chocolate with Helen with lots of tearful hugging by the front door
- Lunch with the gang from the Core where I have been working for the last 4 months. I have been really lucky to have had such a great temp assignment which I have thoroughly enjoyed. They gave me a beautiful Pandora bracelet and charm to remember them by which was such a touching and thoughtful gesture. Thanks guys!
- Dinner at La Cena with Nicola where we did rather well to get a bottle and a half of wine on the house!
- A brief but sweet (and tearful) farewell with Lorraine which took place in the very apt location of a Hays office!
- A two coffee catch up session with Jo and now she has some of our furniture as a permanent reminder of us!
- A fun farewell meal on a Monday evening at Ciao with Alex, Vicky, Andrea, Simon, Adele, Jon and Melbers where we were brought up to date on Neighbours (thanks Melbers) and saw two boys botch up sharing dessert. It really isn't hard cutting a chocolate fondant in half! What a giggle and fun bunch.
- Another Ciao meal, this time with Andrea and Eszti where they promised to continue the tradition of two monthly gatherings so when I return we can just pick up where we left off.
- Dinner at the Pipe and Glass with the Barleys and Morrells where the highlight was seeing Uncle Jim and Dad Barley make their way through the Chocolate Dessert Plate.
- We spent this weekend in March near Peterborough where as well as saying farewell we had the opportunity to celebrate the wedding of Justin and Joy and enjoyed a warm welcome from their family and friends.