For ease of decision making, I made the executive decision to have the set menu for us all.
Chili Cheese Fries -Traditional Texas Style Beef & Bean Chili with Sharp Cheddar Sauce on Crispy Fries
Fried Chicken Southern Style Buttermilk Soaked Tenders with Cracked Pepper White Gravy Texas Caviar Black Eyed Peas & Pico de Gallo with White Flour Tortilla Chips
The Smoker’s Lot Showcase | Pit-smoked meats consisting of Brisket - Grain fed Riverina Angus Beef, Pulled Pork - Otway Ranges Pork Shoulder, Sausage - Jalapeno and Cheddar, Chicken - Basted in Apple BBQ Sauce
Potato Salad with Spring Onion, Fresh Dill, Pickles and Mayo
Iceberg Salad with Dill, Radish, Cucumber & Lemon Dressing
Tangy Coleslaw with Cabbage, Carrot & Onion
Housemade Pecan and Cream Pie
- The Texas Caviar was served straight from the fridge and was too cold for my taste. I also felt it was bland and whilst not offensive, other things were tastier so there was a lot left over.
- The fried chicken was delicious. The meat was soft with a crispy coating and each piece was tasty. The white gravy was more like ranch dressing and there were better condiments. The chutneys and chilli sauce on the table was a better accompaniment.
- The chilli cheese fries were the best! And just as amazing as you'd think it would be by the description. The fries were not overladen with topping and retained a crispiness. Excellent job and worth returning for this!
- The meat selection was good and had something for everyone. Personally I think the pulled pork was over pulled so excessively seasoned and texture wise on the too mushy side of things. The chicken I liked. The sausage was ok but not amazing. Brisket isn't really my thing but Steve and Kirsty both declared it good.
- Pecan pie was a good size - just a small square topped with a squirt of cream. Too sweet for me but Steve managed to eat more than his share!
We were rushed at the end as second sitting diners had arrived so our waitress lost her friendly, flexible attitude. But that's the way it is when there are two sittings.
Overall a place for good cheer and like they say, where good times roll. Probably better in a group although having said that, now that I've sampled some of the menu, if Steve and I came I'd pick wisely and I think it would still be good for a date.