- Caramelized pork bites - twice cooked pork belly served with green nam jim, crispy shallots and garlic chips
- Sesame prawn toasts with garlic chives and black caramel vinegar (unpictured)
- KFC (Korean Fried Chicken) Eric's seven spice crispy chicken ribs tossed with spring onions and whole chillies served with mint sauce.
- Spiced duck with salted cucumber ribbons, chilli, pickled ginger and sesame dressing
Our wet and rainy day was certainly drying out thanks to this injection of spice.
- Korean DIY tacos - slow roasted Korean style pork served with steamed rice, kimchi, butter lettuce cups and our own homemade 'ssam' sauce
- Pad Thai noodles, chicken, with egg, peanuts, bean shoots and spring onion
The DIY tacos were a little disappointing as we just felt the pork was "over pulled" so texture was mushy and flavour was over sweet. The butter lettuce is too floppy a leaf to use so it's hard to wrap and the whole thing gets a bit soft with no texture. I think Iceberg lettuce would be a better leaf to use or even taco shells. I liked the meat and rice combo as the sticky rice did add another texture. I think less sweet and more crunch would work better.
All in all though, in spite of delays to drinks orders (out of beer, new beer keg,,,that sort of unlucky run), I like Rice Queen. I can see it will get busy on a weekend and that it probably gets a but unruly and chaotic (hence low Urbanspoon score) but I guess that's also "character" maybe? I think the food is on par with the likes of Chin Chin and other fusion Asian and prices slightly cheaper. I'd happily return.